Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fabric Art

Ok, so last year I got into dying fabric and making batiks, using stencils, resist medium, salt and other really interesting techniques. I spent most of the winter dying pieces of fabric some fat quarters, but some smaller because I was in a learning mode. I then gave most of these samples to my sister for her stash, (like she needed them). Then after this years Sewing Expo I got more creating fabric ideas, our classes were all on making fabric; (hehe, that really was an accident).
My sister had accepted an order for making 500 cloth grocery bags for her Eastern Star organization, so I pitched in to help. First we hit all of the second hand stores for fabric, sheets, duvets etc. then we brought them home and cut or ripped them into far quarter sizes. I kept some that were plain to dye, and had a field day. I tried all of my techniques that I had already learned and made some absolutely beautiful pieces of fabric. I was having so much fun making fabric, that when I ran out of blank pieces my first thought was that I have a white duvet I could use.
Then I started laughing and called my sister to share my crazy thoughts (she was almost rolling on the floor laughing) I took the finished fabric over to my sister to make into bags. link to pictures on facebook
I then took home some already made bags that where plain brown and needed some spicing up. So I decided to try this new technique I just learned this year using a product called de-colorant. First I tried stencils, they worked fine, but then I decided to try painting. Bet you'll never guess what I painted? Koi of cource :) and lilies.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone at Eastern Star absolutely loved all the bags, especially the hand dyed and painted ones.

    ReplyDelete